Sunday, October 09, 2005

Courage

"Ones perception is dependant on the shoes one wears"

A very true statement that would be in one's best interest to observe before one should judge. As a matter of fact, we should avoid judging all together.

Reality check!!!

Everyday we judge ppl. We avoid those who smell when we pass them. If someone sounds too loud and we not used to it we step away. Conservatives look at liberals weirdly and liberals do the same. We cuss about Bush and Iraq and Fidel and Chavez and Osama. All because we have arrived at the conclusion that they are right or wrong. We categorize rightly or wrongly and the result of those determinations predict our actions.

Pedophyles always suggest that others don't understand and that they are doing nothing wrong. Maybe they really can't see the problem. I don't know. But I have already judged their sins and them. Wrong of me? I agree 100%. A closer to home example; taxi men in Jamaica drive like everyone else must understand that they have things to do and everyone else is in their way. We judge them and cuss them. Other taxi men understand their situation. Some agree some don't.

The beauty of free-will and individuality is that you can swing your vote on either side of the table in any situation. The difficulty is that if more disagree with your position than agree then you find yourself in an ostracisable position.

The other day I 'joined' the discussion about Abortion. It's not the first time for me and I have done some research on the topic because I have had to present on the topic. I've also had the experience of counselling persons seeking abortions or contemplating them. I spelled out their options because I thought that was the right thing to do. I gave friends money to procure abortions because I thought it was the right thing to do. I justified abortions because I felt it was better to decide before hand the outcome of a child born into this world and save them from a dreadful life..... despite the fact that I am not a fortune-teller and have no clue about the future.. not even my own. Why? Because I thought it was right.

I now realise that I can't do that anymore. You will do what you have to do but I can't live with myself knowing I suggested to you, made it possible for you, encouraged you to have an abortion. Can I still be your friend and give you moral support? I won't agree with your decision, I won't take you there, I won't lend you the money, I won't suggest where you can get the money. I can't help you do something that I think is wrong, but I can still see you as a human being ...... as my friend.... as someone I love. I hate the sin not the sinner. I understand why persons would agree with it. I understand why they don't agree with it. I'm not here to judge the person.

I'm not perfect. The persons I detest most in life are Rapists (pedophyles are children rapists)!! I cannot bring myself to even contemplate them as human beings. I suspect that I know a few. But until I know for sure, they are safe. They would make me become a vigilante. Now one of the issues brought up to justify abortion is the conception of a child as a result of rape. That question is always difficult for me. The moral high ground says forgive and let live. Human emotion says take him out and take out his child too. It doesn't help that I have friends who were raped.

What if I was faced with the situation, what advice would I offer? I'd keep my damn mouth shut. I'd not have the courage to voice my opinions and I'd let you decide on your own or with help from another person. I'd give you hugs and I'd help you take your meds afterwards. I'd reassure you through it all that God loves you and ask you to pray about it to make the right choice. At the end of the day, it's between you and God.

Am I a hippocrit? I believe so. And if I haven't show that today with the above then you can watch my pendulous gyrations as a I confuse emotions with matters of right and wrong.

6 comments:

Rae said...

Fortunately for me, the society's vote on right and wrong has little influence. The Bible says it, that settles it. I agree completely about hating the sin and not the sinner. I definitely need to work on that.

bassChocolate said...

So many things to say...

I think it's that distinction between right and wrong that will always seperate society. But you're right, you should stand for what you represent irregardless of how others view things.

But in the end we have to accept the fact that people sin, and try not to make some sins seem so much more unforgivable than others. There are so many causes to fight for, and sometimes we sacrifice many for one.

Bashmentbasses said...

I believe that it's in the bible that God says that sin is sin and none is greater than the other/ all are the same in His eyes, or something to that effect (correct me if I'm wrong).

But as humans we keep putting them in rank and file based on our perceived importance. Hencewhy we think that the commandments are a ranking of the importance of the acts. Thus coveting is not so bad using that logic. I am guilty of doing the same. As a result I get more worked up over the non-recovery sins. If you covet mi tings you can seh "sorry". If you tell me lie and it don't lead to mi death you can tell me "sorry". But if you buss shot inna me kill me, how you a go tell me "sorry"? If you decide to abort me how me a go beg yu "do no kill me mommy/daddy"?

So even though I get worked up over certain things, it's not because I believe them to eb unforgiveable, it's just that they seem more unfair in their actions and far reaching in their repercussions.

When you kill me, it's not just me dead and done. There are those who love and respect me who will be affected. Some of those may enter into sin by thoughst and then never repent them. Do you realise the domino effect of such a sin on the population of hell?

Hey, Hitler could make it to heaven! We have no idea if he repented. But think of the thousands who may be in jeopardy because of a hatred for him! I don't know how God will deal with that but who likes to sit and wait for the judges to make a decision? All want to win by KO or at least a TKO.

Bashmentbasses said...

How do we know that the mind that would discover a cure for an epidemic to come wasn't just sucked out of his mother's womb, limb by limb, by the doctor performing an abortion?

Anonymous said...

How do we know that the mind that would discover an epidemic that would kill millions wasn't just allowed to live?

Choices choices all around. It's just the way the world is. We don't know what will happen. Who's to say that God, realising the genius was aborted didn't create another? We could think and say alot. It's a personal thing for everyone.

Bashmentbasses said...

It's funny that by disagreeing with a decision it automatically means that I can't appreicate the person's right to make the decision.

I'm not firebombing clinics. I'm not harassing doctors or patients. I still have the friends who had theirs (except for one who's life crumbled after her 2nd....not sure if related). I just don't want to be party to it.

The friends (guys) who paid for abortions dumped the girls afterwards. I asked one why and he said that there was no future with her cause he couldn't live with the fact that she had an abortion..... yet he encouraged her to get one. Double standards abound!!! Unfortunately there are too many dumb asses like him around.