Friday, June 09, 2006

Reasonable Expectations

How reasonable is reasonable?

If you are in the habit of mind reading and anticipating what people want and trying to meet those needs, is it unreasonable for you to fall off form one day? Afterall, they were counting on you and had a reasonable expectation that you would be as you have marketed yourself to them.

On Judge Judy, she looks at trends in behaviour to determine if one party has a reasonable expectation of another. I've often wondered where is the justce in that. Why should I be tied to 'reasonable expectations' outside of those that are necessary eg. fidelity, communication, support, etc... (yeah i know I gonna get flak for the preceeding statement)

I guess when we get into a pattern and we are comfortble with it, we don't want to suddenly find out that we can no longer rely comfortably on things running as smoothly (or choppily) as we are accustomed.

So I guess the issue is; how comfotable am I with routine. I know that I dislike monotony, but how much and in what areas? Truth be told, as long as I can see a way to bounce back in the face of sudden change, I deal rather well with mixing it up. How far flung will I be in the deep? Can I make it back to shore? Am I willing to explore the new horizon?

So if my reasonable is not your reasonable then I become unreasonable. Go figure! Can't, then go fish!

2 comments:

bassChocolate said...

Interesting thoughts. The only way I see to reasonably respond to expectation is to have expectations of your own, so that both parties will pretty much feed off each other. However, the idea that it can be used against you in court does disturb me a tad.

Miss Mel said...

Yeah I know bass chocolate it disturbs me too. But at least it seems to work very well for some ex wives :D