Saturday, October 11, 2008

Free sauce?

So I go to BK and I order a combo 1.  There is a sign on the wall indicating that they are no longer giving away sauces with combos.  Instead, you may have 2 packets of ketchup or 1 sauce depending on the meal ordered.  They then layed out the charges for the different condiments available.

I interpreted it to mean that I had a choice of 2 packets of ketchup or 1 packet of sauce.  So I waited until they were preparing my order and told them I would like honey mustard instead of the ketchup.  The server informed me that I couldn't get the sauce because it didn't come with the meal.  I brought her attention to the sign.  She said that I needed to speak with the manager and proceeded to call her.  Another server added her two cents and said the manegr need not be called because it was very simple... no sauce comes withe meal so no sauce to be given.

The manager approached and I explained why I was of the opinion that I was entitled to my 1 sauce.  She said I was not entitled to the sauce because it was not issued with the meal that I ordered.  I asked her which meal is served with sauce.  Turns out the chicken tenders is served with sauce.  I asked if I could swap out the sauce for 2 packs of ketchups if I ordered the tenders.  She said yes.  So I said that the sign should indicate that only reverse swapping allowed, since one can alwasy trade sauce for ketchup but never ketchup for sauce.  She insisted that the sign was correct and quite unambiguous, although she admitted that sauce for ketchup was all that was allowed.

She then tried to passify me by suggesting that I could purchase the sauce for $30.  I told her that I paid with my debit card and they would not allow me to make said purchase because it was below the threshhold for debit card purchases. She agreedd and then suggested I return to my vehicle for coins......  I told her that I would not have purchased the meal I did had I known that was the stipulation.  She decided to give me a packet of sauce along with the ketchup, and warned me that in future I would have to pay if I wanted sauce.

The whole time I spoke very softly and with as little emotion as possible.  Yes I was looking forward to the honey mustard sauce to have with the fries, especially since I already had ketchup at home and didn't need anymore. But no the whole incident wasn't worth the effort expended.

After reaching home I racked my brain for an alternative interpretation of the sign that would validate what the manager was explaining.  Eventually 2hrs later I had a fleeting moment of "lucidity" and I thought I saw what she was saying.  I think what they were trying to say is that the originally intended condiments is all they are willing to give you at this time.  If you really want it your way right away, cough up some more dough!!

Whopper combo (when I wanted a Bacon whopper but they had no bacon)........... $430
Honey mustard sauce and ketchup (when I just wanted hm sauce)                      ..... free
Getting the sauce free when the rest of the meal was soggy and unpalatable         ..... waste of my damn time!!

For everyone else there's Wendy's!!!!!!

6 comments:

laroper18 said...

Personally I prefer fast food restaurants having the contents of these packets in containers, like the pumping thing at Wendy's. I think it's a better move for the environment and for their pockets (DON'T QUOTE ME!!). Only wished they saw it that way, esp cause I refuse to pay money to dress up their food and create more junk to fill valuable real estate!

bassChocolate said...

Haha... you know, we as customers depend on company managers to add reason or logic to a conversation from their side of the counter. It's the worst thing when you can't get that from even them. But we have a choice in where we eat, and it seems that's how they feel... by not pleasing you their profits won't go down. Sad and true at the same time.

Sweet Simone said...

LOL! At least u got ur sauce.

Anonymous said...

LMAO!!!!

Unknown said...

So much for having it your way at BK. I have almost eliminated junk food from my diet, so I hardly ever visit BK. But to be honest I prefer Wendy's, tastes healthier to me.

Sweet Simone said...

BB, BK Negril allows u to have either ur 2 packets of ketchup or ketchup and a sauce of ur choice, How come??