Friday, December 01, 2006

Details finally.... getting the ring

Ok, enough suspense. I have been given leave to speak freely.

We've been together for eons and trust me, if I hadn't entered medical school, I'd have allowed her to make an honest man of me long time ago (2003), but as the course of life would have it we'd have to wait.

Realising that I had time to play with I started scouting around for a ring from Dec 2004 when I was in the states. Read up about different types of rings and stones, clarity, colour and all that jazz. Then went looking in the stores over there to see what they had to offer and prices, naturally.

Then had Camille in England looking for me to see what was nice in her opinion (Dec 05) so that I could test to see how my taste had developed. From what she sent me I picked out what I liked. Had my friend Camille in Mobay scouting out what the north coast (Feb 06) had to offer and she sent me her picks. She sent me to Bijoux in Kingston. Some other friends from class took it upon themselves to go looking all over HWT on my behalf and recommended Tropical Jewellers.

(Aug 06) I came into town from St. Thomas and with my brother in tow, as a back-up to make sure I didn't f'-up, we headed to Tropical jewellers. Didn't see anything that caught our eyes. Went to Bijoux (couldn't find it at first and called Kildaire for directions ... she got suspicious) and jackpot!

Picked out 2 really nice ones; 1 raised in the traditional style and another flat, both white gold (couldn't manage the platinum at this time), both had smaller diamonds coming in from the edges getting larger as they reached the middle where the largest one rested comfortably. Sales lady asked me if I was sure she'd like the flattened one. I said of course, since I liked that one and my brother confirmed its aesthetic interest. "Price? ...... How many nights in New Kingston on the corner does that work out to?...... including pimp fees? So I should be able to get it by November 27th then? OK, thanx! "

Went back to St. Thomas and concocted some BS about a friend breaking her engagement ring and wishing she had got the flat one instead. Kelly says that she prefers the raised one and that something must have been wrong with the girl's own for it to break that easy. Well now I have my answer and it's not the one I had picked. Damn it!!!

Back in town and due to duty I had missed many nights of 'work'. End of October I go to see the ring to remind me of the goal. Not only is the one I picked gone but the one to replace it is gone too. Shietzzzz!!! Spend another 45 min going through their choice cuts, no brother for help, in my whites so clerk trying to sell me ones worth more than my car. Find one that seems to beckon to me. I point to it and turn my head and don't even bother to look at the price cause I might just dead. Clerk takes it out and says she'll put it up for me. I try to explain I just need to see it on her finger and I'll come back closer to the date I need it. She says "nonsense! I'll put it up for you for 2 weeks". I say I need it for the 27th. She says well then just come in the week before you need it.... and then she puts it away and writes down my name and gives me her business card.

2 weeks to come up with the money!!! I start to look for a less populated corner in New Kingston and think of all the tricks I've heard about and consider how many of them I could pull off for extra tips. But how many professional women would really pay for my services? Damn it, I knew I should have gone to the gym!! So I pull out my secret weapon...... NOT THAT ONE YOU SLACKERS!!! I continue with some serious knee rubbing every morning. When asked by nosy people I say that it's gonna happen very soon and definately before the end of the year and preferrably on her birthday.

Tuesday of the week I'm to pick up the ring I get the money (I already told you my secret) and head over to Bijoux. Clerk recognises me and runs to get it. I pay, call her parents and make an appointment to speak with them.

1 comment:

bassChocolate said...

Too bad you never had the money to get your ring of choice upfront. The setbacks must have been frustrating.